The Standard Edition of Windows Server 2022 already offers many smaller data centers comprehensive functionalities as well as sufficient options for the virtualization of services for their needs, which are supplemented by the improved scalability and further optimization of performance - combined with effective security functions to reliably protect data and applications in multi-cloud environments.
With the Datacenter Edition of Windows Server 2022, the more complex data centers of large organizations and enterprises in particular have expanded options in terms of virtualization of applications and data, including even greater scalability as well as additional security features.
The two editions Windows Server 2022 Standard and Windows Server 2022 Datacenter buy can be found in the Wiresoft Software Shop now as used software - and benefit from their lower price compared to the respective available new product.
In the following overview the most important functionalities of Windows Server 2022 as well as the edition differences between Standard and Datacenter Edition are presented. For more information, simply contact one of our representatives.
Overview of the Windows Server 2022 Standard and Datacenter editions
Like its predecessor, the current version of the Microsoft Windows Server 2022 server operating system is likely to be based on Windows 10 - with the desktop interface familiar from there, making it easy for users to find their way around and with all functions available in a familiar place. Plus, they get 10 years of product support from Microsoft in the form of support and updates for Microsoft Server 2022 editions.
In Windows Server 2022 buy, the focus is again on the areas of security and protection of data, performance and virtualization - in addition to fundamental optimizations in both editions. The functionalities available in the Standard Edition are also included in the Datacenter Edition and are supplemented or extended there.
Security features - Buy Windows Server 2022
Windows Server 2022 offers multi-layered security for Standard and Datacenter for comprehensive protection of data and services including their availability, e.g. with these features:
- Basically, TLS 1.3 - the latest version of Transport Layer Security - is enabled, as is HTTPS, to ensure secure connections when encrypting data and a secure communication channel between two endpoints. Using the HTTPS protocol, Secure DNS and DoH (DNS-over-HTTPS), DNS queries are encrypted to prevent DNS data tampering and eavesdropping.
- Server Message Block (SMB) now automatically uses the AES-256-GCM and AES-256-CCM standards to encrypt data as soon as a connection is established with another computer, provided that this computer also supports this standard.
- At the same time, encryption using SMB Direct as well as RDMA (Remote Direct Memory Access) provides higher bandwidth with lower latency for direct storage, storage replica, Hyper-V and SQL Server.
- Trusted Platform Module 2.0 provides a secure, hardware-based store for cryptographic keys and data that is also used in BitLocker drive encryption - including system integrity verification as well as code trustworthiness at Windows Server 2022 startup.
- Secured core server processors provide firmware protection with Dynamic Root of Trust for Measurement (DRTM) technology by verifying startup operations as well as in isolated driver access to memory via protection Direct Memory Access (DMA, as well as code integrity support to VBS (virtualization-based security) and HVCI (hypervisor-based security) standards.
- VBS, in particular, provides a secure memory area isolated from the operating system that protects the server from certain risks, such as those encountered in cryptocurrency mining. By using Credential Guard, user login information is also stored in a virtual container that cannot be accessed directly by the operating system.
- Failover clusters also allow detailed control of the encryption of CSV (Cluster Shared Volumes) and SBL (Storage Bus Layer).
Migration and storage functions in Windows Server 2022
Migration of data volumes and storage and their provisioning also represent a significant functional area in Windows Server 2022. The optimized Storage Migration Server orchestrator provides extended options for this, e.g. when migrating local users or groups to the Windows server and between failover clusters and storage; Linux servers can also be included, as can NetApp CIFS servers or NetApp Factory Application Server (FAS).
Container services in Windows Server 2022
The use of Windows Containers in Windows Server now offers optimized application compatibility as well as performance, in addition to improvements especially in the use of Kubernetes. Thus, the startup time of Windows containers has been reduced by 30% by reducing their image size up to 40%, which also improves their performance. Likewise, the Windows Admin Center has been updated, making it easier to create containers for .NET applications. Furthermore, the configuration of nodes, IPv6 as well as the implementation of network policies when using Kubernetes is significantly simplified.
Other performance and virtualization features - Buy Windows Server 2022
Users also benefit from many other features with both Windows Server 2022 Standard and Datacenter, which overall increase the performance of the server operating system as well:
- In memory repair, users have more control during data synchronization due to the now customizable speed. Available resources can be allocated either to repair data copies (resilience) or to run active workloads (performance). This also allows clusters to be managed more flexibly and efficiently.
- Read and write performance has been improved by allowing slower media, such as HDD, to be connected to faster media, such as NVMe or SSD, as well as storage on standalone servers at the storage bus cache.
- With SMB compression available, files can be transferred quickly even on busy networks without having to be manually compressed first.
- By using TCP HyStart++, the performance of the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) has been improved, which reduces packet loss
- RACK (Recent ACKnowledgment) reduces Retransmit TimeOuts (RTO) during retransmission
In the virtualization area, Windows Server:
- Optimizations in Hyper-V virtual switches with RSC (Receive Segment Coalescing), packets in the hypervisor network are thus combined and thus processed as larger segments. RSC thus reduces CPU cycles and improves network traffic performance.
- With support for Nested Virtualization on AMD processors, Windows Server 2022 provides more options to run Hyper-V on a Hyper-V virtual machine (VM) as well.
In addition, Microsoft Edge is now available by default in Windows Server 2022, replacing Internet Explorer; Edge is based on Chromium Open Source, providing more security.
Exclusive features of the Windows Server 2022 Datacenter edition
Only the Windows Server 2022 Datacenter Edition offers, in addition to the features mentioned above, a whole portfolio of further plus functionalities as well as the support of Shielded Virtual Machines for the creation of highly secure virtualization infrastructures with Hyper-V, including an unlimited number of virtual computers plus one Hyper-V host per license, as well as:
- Software-defined Networking (SDN)
- Software-defined storage (SDS)
- Storage Spaces Direct (SSD)
- Unlimited Storage Replica - for both synchronous and asynchronous replication of volumes between servers or clusters during disaster recovery
- Hyper Converged Infrastructure - for software-defined consolidation of computing, storage and networking functions in a cluster
- Virtual OSE (Operating System Environment)
Licensing of Windows Server 2022 Edition Standard and Datacenter
The licensing of the Windows Server 2022 version will probably again be based on the familiar core-based licensing scheme, as well as alternatively with the combination of server license plus client access license for the Standard Edition, and the exclusively core-based licensing for the Datacenter Edition.
Even when purchasing Windows Server 2022 as used software, licensing is always in accordance with Microsoft's licensing terms, which uses the number of cores as the benchmark for calculating license requirements for core-based licensing, which is exclusively available for the Datacenter edition. Thus, the following provisions apply:
- The applicable Windows Server 2022 Software will be licensed based on the actual physical hardware used. In addition to the number of core processors physically present, the number of virtual servers is also taken into account.
- Thus, a single Windows Server 2022 license covers 2 physical processor cores.
- A minimum number of 8 cores per processor is always taken as a basis - even if the hardware actually present has fewer than 8 cores.
- A minimum of 2 processors per physical server is always applied.
- This results in a minimum number of 16 cores.
- For server hardware with more than 16 cores, all additional cores must be licensed with additional Windows Server 2022 packages.
When licensing Windows Server 2022 with the combination of Server License and Client Access License as available for the Standard edition, each user or end device accessing the Windows Server must be provided with a separate User CAL or Device CAL. This also applies to Remote Access licensing for Windows Server 2022.
For more information, especially about Client Access licensing and Hyper-V instances for Windows Server 2022, please contact a Wiresoft representative. Corresponding User or Device as well as RDS CALs for Windows Server 2022 are also available from Wiresoft as used software.
Buy the Windows Server 2022 editions Standard and Datacenter as Microsoft used software at Wiresoft
The two new editions of Windows Server 2022 - Standard and Datacenter - are already available at Wiresoft as used software. Thereby you profit from these advantages:
- When you buy a Windows Server 2022 edition, you get an original Microsoft software with a valid license key - and no limited-use or time-limited trial versions.
- The designation of a Windows Server 2022 Edition as "Used Software" does not imply any restrictions on the functionality of the software.
- Used Windows Server 2022 software of Standard and Datacenter editions has been tested by Wiresoft for full usability before resale.
- Trading and using Microsoft used software with Windows Server 2022 edition is legal, because it is allowed by law.
- You always acquire a legal and at the same time original Microsoft of a Windows Server 2022 product with the used license purchase from Wiresoft.
If you have any further questions about Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Edition or Client Access licensing, please contact us via chat, phone or e-mail.